Saturday, November 29, 2008

Why cloth, you ask?

I love cloth nappies. Love them! My only regret is that I didn't start using them from the very beginning...

There is so much to know about the benefits of reusable nappies, but in short: they save you money (thousands!), they don't contribute to landfill, they are not made using harsh chemicals, and they are much gentler than disposables for your precious baby's skin.
Mostly, they are ridiculously cute!


And why MiniLaLa nappies? Well, I think they speak for themselves. My nappies are the ultimate in pretty nappies! I make them with my very favourite designer fabrics. Each is handmade, and waterproof, so there are no extra bits. You can get an All-In-One (AIO) nappy in sizes small, medium, and large, or a One -Size-Fits-Most pocket nappy, which fits from early days 'til toilet training.


I use bamboo in my nappies (as well as microfibre) which has great benefits for your baby's skin - it's antibacterial, antifungal, very absorbent, yet breathable, odour resistant, and thermal, so it adjusts to hot and cold temperatures (similar to wool). Perfect for extra sensitive bottoms. Bamboo is great for the environment, doesn't require much water, and is organically grown, so no nasty chemicals. As a fast growing plant, bamboo is very sustainable, and it improves soil quality. Perfect! Oh, and don't worry about the Pandas - they don't like this particular variety, so they won't go hungry.

I know you're thinking that this is all well and good, but what about all that soaking and washing? It's much simpler than you might think: Take the nappy off, scrape solids into the toilet, store in bucket (dry pail) - no soaking or chemicals required. When ready to wash, just throw in the machine, use a tiny amount of additive-free powder, wash, rinse, hang to dry. Voila! They're ready to go again. I told you it wasn't so hard. Lets face it, one more load of washing every few days is nothing amongst the tonnes you already have to do with babies and toddlers!

No comments:

Post a Comment